Date:	Tue, 30 Sep 2008 21:50:37 +0200
From:	Frans Pop <elendil@...net.nl>
To:	"Kay Sievers" <kay.sievers@...y.org>
Cc:	"Tony Vroon" <tony@...on.org>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	"Tejun Heo" <tj@...nel.org>, "Jens Axboe" <jens.axboe@...cle.com>
Subject: Re: CD tray closes spontaneously after opening it

On Tuesday 30 September 2008, Kay Sievers wrote:
> Does:
>   /sbin/udevadm monitor --env
> print something while you see the tray closing?

I was somewhat lucky to reproduce it with that running and there was no
output during the open or close. I guess that rules out udev?

I still don't know how to reliably reproduce this. It seems that after it
has occurred once, it will not occur again unless the system is rebooted.
But I'm not 100% sure of that.

Most times I've seen it was after playing a DVD when ejecting the disc to
put it back in its box, but not when the DVD was inserted earlier.
But I've also seen it shortly after the system is booted when just opening
the tray with no media inserted.

Just to be clear: until recently the drive has always behaved perfectly in
the same situations.

> Does this also happen when you set:
>   /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/autoclose
> to 0?

I'll set that on boot using /etc/sysctl.conf and will report if I can
still reproduce with that setting. I've checked that the "normal" value
is 1.

Thanks.