Date:	Thu, 2 Oct 2008 18:15:18 +0200
From:	"Leon Woestenberg" <leon.woestenberg@...il.com>
To:	"Jens Axboe" <jens.axboe@...cle.com>
Cc:	"Leisner, Martin" <Martin.Leisner@...ox.com>,
	"Alan Cox" <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	marty <martyleisner@...oo.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: disk IO directly from PCI memory to block device sectors

Hello Jens,

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@...cle.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29 2008, Jens Axboe wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 26 2008, Leisner, Martin wrote:
>> IMHO, this interface totally rocks. It's really async like splice was
>
> Alright, so this one actually works :-)
> Apart from fixing the bugs in it, it's also more clever in using the bio
> for the write part. It'll reuse the same bio in the splice actor until
> it's full, only then submitting it and allocating a new one. The read
> part works the same way.

I have been following this thread trying to grasp a very nifty use
case (high speed acquisition and storage of data) of splice.

I think it would make a perfect example of splice functionality.

What would the user space part look like to exercise this interface?

And whoever writes Linux Device Drivers 4th edition or one of the
kernel books; make sure this topic in is :-)

Regards,
--
Leon