Date:	Thu, 16 Oct 2008 14:03:49 +0200
From:	Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@...net.be>
To:	Alan Jenkins <alan-jenkins@...fmail.co.uk>
Cc:	linux-uvc-devel@...ts.berlios.de,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@...radead.org>
Subject: Re: [Linux-uvc-devel] [BUG] NULL pointer dereference caused by uvcvideo stress test

Hi Alan,

On Thursday 16 October 2008, Alan Jenkins wrote:
> Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> >> I put one before and one after
> >>
> >> 134    BUG_ON(vfl->fops == NULL);
> >> 135    file->f_op = fops_get(vfl->fops);
> >> 136    BUG_ON(file->f_op == NULL);
> >>
> >> and the second one triggered
> >
> > This confirms my suspicion. Could you please try the attached patch ?
>
> Yup, that seems to fix it.

Great.

> I wonder if there are more instances of this error in other subsystems.

>From a quick grep it seems the following subsystems are affected:

drivers/media/video
drivers/media/video/dvb/dvb-core
drivers/gpu/drm
sound/core

Unless the issue is critical and should be fixed before 2.6.28,
drivers/media/video won't matter as the v4l core has already been moved to
the cdev API in the kernel tree, removing the offending code.

Will you submit patches for the other three subsystems or would you like me to
take care of that ?

Best regards,

Laurent Pinchart