Date:	Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:40:53 -0700
From:	Linda Walsh <smartmontools@...nx.org>
To:	Tejun Heo <htejun@...il.com>
CC:	Smartmontools Mailing List
	<smartmontools-support@...ts.sourceforge.net>,
	Bruce Allen <ballen@...vity.phys.uwm.edu>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: re: Promise SATA-standby +selftest=hungdrive; Sil works...

This is with 2.6.26.5  (there are multiple other problems with 2.6.27[.0]).

The problem with the drive going "offline" doesn't happen with a
sil_sata(3124) controller -- so no need to unplug and replug...

I.e. when the drives are in standby, if smartd or a smartctl command
attempts to run a drive self-test (short), I get timeout errors from the
Promise controller (which hangs the sys if I try unplugging/replugging
the cable to the hung drive).

The drives correctly spin up to speed and perform the short-test with
the sil controller.

It would seem there is a problem with the Promise controller or driver?