Date:	Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:30:05 +1100
From:	Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>
To:	Linda Walsh <lkml@...nx.org>
Cc:	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, xfs@....sgi.com
Subject: Re: 2.6.27.[0,2] problems (v. 2.6.26.5): Samba & root-read-only

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:41:03AM -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:
> I am having to stay at 2.6.26.5 for now on my main home server.
>
> Going to 2.6.27 (and just trying 2.6.27.2), I'm have two VERY weird (would
> appear to be user-land probs from symptoms), problems.
>
> 1) Samba -- the system is a Samba domain controller.  When I boot using
> the 2.6.27.2 kernel (or .0 before), I can no longer mount any file systems
> from my windows client.
>
> 2) My root disk comes up READ-ONLY.  It uses XFS.  I am NOT able to remount
> read/write (mount -o remount,rw /, fails writing to Read-only /etc/mtab,
> mount -n -o remount,rw doesn't give an error message, but doesn't make the
> drive R/W.  Root fs is on an adaptec FAST-SCSI (80MB/s) with an 18MB Seagate
> (root, disk is oldest disk on the system).

That XFS problem should be fixed in 2.6.27.3, whenever that is going
to be released. It was sent and ACK'd by the stable team a week ago,
but for some reason missed 2.6.27.2.

Most likely is that the Samba problem will be caused by the smbd
not being able to write to it's databases when clients try
to connect because of the read-only root fs.

If you want to patch your kernel, the patch is here:

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner