Date:	Sat, 25 Oct 2008 23:47:01 +0200
From:	Hartmut Niemann <Hartmut.Niemann@....de>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, horms@...ge.net.au,
	nico-kernel-nfsroot@...ottelius.org
Subject: nfsroot.txt in 2.4.36.7 and 2.6.27.1, Configure.help in 2.4.36.7: missing precondition CONFIG_IP_PNP

Hello everybody!

In kernel versions 2.4.36.7 and 2.6.27.1 (I checked only these) the file
nfsroot.txt fail to mention, that
Kernel level autoconfiguration CONFIG_IP_PNP *must* be selected
(in 2.6.27.1 the wording is much better mentioning that nfs may not be
compiled as a module than in 2.4.36.7)
in order to be able to even *see* the option
"Root file system on NFS" (CONFIG_ROOT_NFS)
-- except for xconfig in 2.4.36, which allowed me to see that there is
this option (greyed), and to see it's help text. (This, by the way,
was a big help -- I could see that the option is still present in current
kernels)

I reordered the section 1 of nfsroot.txt (of 2.6.27.1), diff is attached.
(And I fixed some chapter numbering in section 3).
Is this document otherwise correct for 2.4 and can be updated there too?
The version in 2.4.36.7 is

The help text of CONFIG_ROOT_NFS in 2.4.36.7 is quite funny:
  "It is
  likely that in this case, you also want to say Y to "Kernel level IP
  autoconfiguration" so that your box can discover its network address
  at boot time."
Does that make clear that you can not even see this option
during make *config unless you set "Kernel level IP autoconfiguration"?
The help text of CONFIG_NFS_FS does contain the information,
but I found it there a little late. The texts in 2.6 are better.

A diff for 2.4.36.7 Configure.help is attached as well.

Is this correct?

With best regards
Hartmut Niemann

View attachment "nfsroot.txt.diff" of type "text/x-diff" (2509 bytes)

View attachment "Configure.help.diff" of type "text/x-diff" (901 bytes)