Date:	Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:54:58 -0600
From:	Matthew Wilcox <matthew@....cx>
To:	Alexey Dobriyan <adobriyan@...il.com>
Cc:	torvalds@...l.org, akpm@...l.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-arch@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: On spreading atomic_t initialization

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 06:29:43PM +0300, Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> I wrote stupid runtime checker to look for atomic_t uninitialized usage
> and the amount of screaming in logs is surprisingly very big.
>
> So the question: is there really really an arch for which setting atomic_t
> by hand (kzalloc) is not equivalent to atomic_set()?

No.  atomic_t is 32-bit, and requires all 32 bits to be usable by the
callers.  It's kind of like NULL might not theoretically be represented
by a bit-pattern of all zeroes.  In practise, it always is.  I don't
see the value in your checker, sorry.

--
Matthew Wilcox				Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."