Date:	Thu, 6 Nov 2008 21:48:39 +1100
From:	Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@...oo.com.au>
To:	Vladislav Bolkhovitin <vst@...b.net>
Cc:	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, viro@...iv.linux.org.uk,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: WARNING: at fs/buffer.c:1186 mark_buffer_dirty+0x51/0x66()

On Saturday 01 November 2008 05:11, Vladislav Bolkhovitin wrote:
> Nick Piggin wrote:

> >> Can you specify which patch you referring? Is it in 2.6.27?
> >
> > It's just an RFC at the moment which I posted to fsdevel. Not in 2.6.27.
>
> I see. I'm looking forward to see it in 2.6.28 or .29. This is really a
> needed work.

Hopefully. Unfortunately it doesn't exactly make the filesystems
themselves more robust against failure. That needs to be done on
a case by case basis.

> BTW, have you even seen in your fault-injection testing that after
> receiving a failure from a SCSI device during heavy load ext3 file
> system mounted on it gets corrupted and journal replay on remount
> doesn't repair it, only manual e2fsck helps? I've many times seen that,
> including cases when the target was remaining up and fully functional.
> See, e.g., "MOANING MODE ON" part in
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=121932252324432&w=2. I haven't checked
> that case since then, although I see such corruptions quite often. But
> in all them I can't so clearly say that it isn't a target's failure.

I haven't seen that, but I'm not exactly testing for filesystem
robustness to errors, but more of core vm/fs layer robustness, so
I'm mainly trying to inject errors into data portion of inodes.

I think the ext3 development list should be interested in your
report.

Thanks,
Nick