Date:	Thu, 6 Nov 2008 16:00:31 +0100
From:	Norbert Preining <preining@...ic.at>
To:	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>
Cc:	Mattia Dongili <malattia@...ux.it>,
	Kernel development list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	USB list <linux-usb@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: usb device not showing up

Hi Alan,

On Mi, 05 Nov 2008, Alan Stern wrote:
> Well, this is a little odd.  The trace shows the modem was detected and
> enumerated correctly.  But there's nothing corresponding to when you
> loaded the hso driver.  In fact, there's nothing after uhci-hcd
> finished starting up and the unconnected root hubs were suspended.

Strange. I will redo the thing and see if something changes the second
time. I am quite sure I loaded hsom but of course without udev running
(init=/bin/bash) no devices were created.

> Did you look in /proc/bus/usb/devices at this point?  And what about
> the files in /sys/bus/usb/drivers/hso/?

I don't remember, will redo it.

> This suggests the problem may lie in the hso driver itself, or in a
> failure to bind the driver to the device.

Well, the point is that under these circumstances, as I explained,
*there*is*no*problem*, I can use the device without any problems.

Only when I turn of the computer and turn it on again the device simply
does not show up in the usb system.

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@...ic.at>        Vienna University of Technology
Debian Developer <preining@...ian.org>                         Debian TeX Group
ADLESTROP (n.)
That part of a suitcase which is designed to get snarled up on
conveyor belts at airports. Some of the more modern adlestrop designs
have a special 'quick release' feature which enables the case to flip
open at this point and fling your underclothes into the conveyor
belt's gearing mechanism.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff