Date:	Fri, 7 Nov 2008 13:05:55 +0900
From:	FUJITA Tomonori <fujita.tomonori@....ntt.co.jp>
To:	jens.axboe@...cle.com
Cc:	fujita.tomonori@....ntt.co.jp, stern@...land.harvard.edu,
	James.Bottomley@...senPartnership.com, linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Problems with the block-layer timeouts

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 08:23:54 +0100
Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@...cle.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 06 2008, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:

> > > Very good point, we do indeed want a round_jiffies_up() for this!
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, why do we need to use round_jiffies here? We
> > didn't do that for SCSI, right?
>
> We don't have to, but given that we don't care about exact timeouts, we
> may as well. It's not a new thing, we've done that since pretty much the
> beginning of the generic timeout development.

I'm not sure that the users of the timeout feature can control exact
timeouts because the block layer doesn't let the users directly play
with the timer. elv_dequeue_request() is not the exact time that the
users want to start the timer. Instead, the block layer hides the
details behind the elevator (note that as I said before, I think that
it's the right thing). So the round_jiffies in the block layer doesn't
make sense to me. I prefer remove them instead of adding a bunch of
round_jiffies_up_* (I bet that some of them will never be used).