Date:	Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:58:16 -0800
From:	Gary Hade <garyhade@...ibm.com>
To:	Jiri Slaby <jirislaby@...il.com>
Cc:	"GARCIA DE SORIA LUCENA, JUAN JESUS" <juanj.g_soria@...pobbva.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, garyhade@...ibm.com
Subject: Re: Regression: Boot hang sizing transparent PCI-to-PCI bridge
	since after 2.6.25-r7.

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:14:11AM +0100, Jiri Slaby wrote:
> On 11/10/2008 10:12 AM, GARCIA DE SORIA LUCENA, JUAN JESUS wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Time ago I bisected a commit that was making my OKI Anima 3300 laptop
> > hang during boot.
>
> Doesn't pci=norom help in your case? There was a patch which tried to resolve
> this issue in a different manner, but it was reverted too. This boot parameter
> was introduced as a replacement IIRC.

As the unfortunate author of both of the reverted patches and author
of the pci=norom patch I can confirm that Jiri is correct.  The issues
that the patches addressed (with some unintended side effects caused
by the reverted attempts) were PCI resource allocation failures observed
during PCI hotplug.  We were not seeing or trying to address boot-time
PCI resource allocation failures or hangs.

Gary

--
Gary Hade
System x Enablement