Date:	Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:08:28 +0100
From:	Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>
To:	Andreas Mohr <andi@...as.de>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, alsa-devel@...a-project.org,
	Kernel Testers List <kernel-testers@...r.kernel.org>,
	Maxim Levitsky <maximlevitsky@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [alsa-devel] Bugs on aspire one A150

At Sun, 9 Nov 2008 21:09:29 +0100,
Andreas Mohr wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 07:58:17PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Sun, 9 Nov 2008 16:13:23 +0100,
> > Andreas Mohr wrote:
> > > OK, _THIS_ time I actually did get the correct model (last time I tried
> > > modprobe with model=acer-aspire, but apparently it then used the
> > > /etc/modprobe.d/ model=toshiba setting, since this time gamix showed
> > > entirely different controls with i-Mic etc.) - all the more reason to
> > > log the model name chosen/selected by the driver!!
> >
> > Build with the debug option (why turned off even if you *are*
> > debugging?).  Then the driver will show you details.
>
> Hmm, right, that would have been an (very useful) option, but not for the
> majority of users OTOH.

I thought many ditros set this option...

> Especially since this is a user-visible module parameter which should thus
> be confirmed in mainstream user code, via logging.

You can check via /sys/modules/snd_hda_intel/parameters/model whether
you passed correctly or not, at least :)

> Admittedly not many modules log their settings during startup,
> but for snd_hda_intel with its two myriads of codec/machine variants
> and a resulting quarter myriad of issues that would be very useful.

Passing the model option is already a kind of debugging work, IMO.
You shouldn't do it unless you need it, indeed.

> > > --> I have to admit that usability sucks^Hcould be a lot better.
> >
> > One would call it rather debuggability than usability.
> > These are completely different things.
>
> See above ;)
>
> > > i-Mic on Ekiga with lotsa mixer fiddling didn't work either this time.
> >
> > OK, then something is missing.  But you should test by arecord first
> > than any complicated applications as a primary test.
>
> Good point, will do.
>
> Oh, and is there a way to manually alter codec registers?

Try hda-verb program.  Build your kernel with CONFIG_SND_HDA_HWDEP=y
and access via the hwdep device.
	ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/tiwai/misc/hda-verb-0.2.tar.bz2

Takashi