Date:	Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:56:55 -0500
From:	Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: 2.6.28-rc4-mmotm1110 shift-lock oddness

Twice today, I've managed to get my laptop into an odd state where the keyboard
got quite confused:

1) For the characters [a-z] the shift bit was *inverted* - if the shift-lock
LED was off, you'd get UPPER-case, and if it was on, you'd get lower-case.

2) To add to the fun, the 0-9 keys were stuck shifted - I'd get the special
characters no matter what setting the shift or shift-lock key had.  I suspect
that the special-char keys like [{ and ;: were also stuck in shifted state,
but can't totally confirm it.

The previous two issues combined meant that I wasn't able to su or login
as root to do much of anything about it (guess who has special chars in their
root password? ;)

3) ctl-alt-Fn to switch virtual consoles was spotty/erratic - one time
I was unable to use it at all, another time I was able to use c-a-F1 to get
to a green-screen console, but then F2 to get another one or F7 to get
back to the X server screen wouldn't work.

4) Fortunately for my sanity, alt-sysrq was still working as advertised,
so I was able to reboot and thus clear the problem.

I was thinking this might be a simple "missed a key press/released" event
for a shift key, except that doesn't explain the numerics getting stuck shifted.

Any suggestions/hints for instrumentation/etc, in case I can replicate it
again?