Date:	Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:57:15 -0800
From:	"Justin P. Mattock" <justinmattock@...il.com>
To:	Pavel Machek <pavel@...e.cz>
Cc:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>,
Subject: Re: processors core stuck in full throttle after waking up from
 s2ram

On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 18:24 +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > Surely not.  The first core shows 2.16 GHz.
> > >
> > > Anyway, it certainly is not related to the s2ram program in any way.
> >

> > Normally I would see cpu MHz: 1000 under both entries,
> > this time upon wakeup theres 1000 and 2167.00. the 2167.00 doesn't move
> > down to 1000 i.g. example of system normally:
> >  cat /proc/cpuinfo <below>
>

> > will move between 2167.00 to 1000 simultaneously under load with both
> > cores, but then back down to 1000, for both when settled down.
> > in this situation as I reported, the 2167.00 just
> > stays at that number for one of the cores(if thats what I'm seeing) when
> > waking up from suspend for some reason or another.
>
> Can you check with top that no process is running/eating time?
>
> If you change cpufreq governor to powersave, will it react?
>
> Can you check with powertop if the cpu is idle (C2/C3)or if it is
> running something?
>
> Actually, booting with nosmp might be useful. Is it always same core?

>>From what I'm seeing now, the issue seems to be resolved.
(between commits:2.6.28-rc5-00118-geef8eed
and 2.6.28-rc6-00011-g3791555 seems to have fixed this,
although I don't know what commit was the successful commit);

As for processes happening upon wakeup,
I can try and see with top.
(I'm certain though that the video card switches to full
throttle upon wakeup, i.g. when starting the system I use
"./radeontool power low" to lower the video cards power, so she's not too
hot; after waking up "./radeontool power status", reveals that those settings
was occurring this aspect made no difference.

As for switching between cpufreq_ondemand and cpufreq_powersave:
I did, when this issue was happening,
I did a watch cat /proc/cpuinfo(saw the one core stuck)
then in another terminal issue the command:
powersave -e Powersave, then powersave -l
which puts the box into cpufreq_powersave mode.
when looking at the other terminal watching cpuinfo
I had noticed that the core that was stuck, moved down in frequency,
then a few seconds later move back up to it's full frequency,
and stayed there.

As for finding a solution,
My goal yesterday was to downgrade the xserver to use an older video
module, to see if this was graphics module, or something else("isolate the issue");
So now after being unable to reproduce this,
(before git-pulling yesterday it was vary reproducible)
And feeling like a dunce, I'm going to just run s2ram
numerous times, to see if this occurs and report any interesting
anomalies.

regards;

--
Justin P. Mattock <justinmattock@...il.com>