Date:	Tue, 25 Nov 2008 00:03:06 +0000
From:	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>
To:	Mel Gorman <mel@....ul.ie>
Cc:	petkovbb@...il.com, sshtylyov@...mvista.com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Is the change to IDE probing really necessary?

> Then can the message outputted printed out say something along those
> lines? On this particular machine, probing 0x3F resulted in a misconfigured

That is exactly what it says at the moment.

> machine. It's not obvious to me at all that 0x3F means probe everything,
> possibly with adverse results and 0x03 means peer at primary/secondary.

> Which in this case resulted in no disk because the mask defaults to 0
> now instead of 0x3 or anything else.

The mask is set to 0 and then the master/slave are detected based upon
the presence of PCI IDE devices on the master/slave ports.

> What you suggest for the numbers in each case is right, but it's not
> obvious. The machine might be so old that no will encounter this problem
> in practice.

That is why pata_legacy does it automatically. Users shouldn't need to.

> > If you want it to just work automatically use pata_legacy instead as that
> > automatically flips between probing ISA tertiary devices and leaving
> > things well alone according to the presence of PCI bus.
> >

> It doesn't find the disk.

If pata_legacy fails to find the disk then please send me an lspci
-vvxxx, chances are you shouldn't be using pata_legacy or ide_generic in
the first place but have a PCI device and don't have the right driver
loaded (or we don't have a right driver in which case it needs the
heuristics fixing up)