Date:	Thu, 27 Nov 2008 20:46:35 +0300
From:	Vladislav Bolkhovitin <vst@...b.net>
To:	Wu Fengguang <wfg@...ux.intel.com>
CC:	Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@...cle.com>, Jeff Moyer <jmoyer@...hat.com>,
	"Vitaly V. Bursov" <vitalyb@...enet.dn.ua>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Slow file transfer speeds with CFQ IO scheduler in some cases

Wu Fengguang wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 03:09:12PM +0300, Vladislav Bolkhovitin wrote:
>> Vladislav Bolkhovitin wrote:

>>> Yes. It has to do so, because Linux doesn't have async. cached IO and a
>>> client can queue several tens of commands at time. Then, on the
>>> sequential IO with 1 command at time, CPU scheduler comes to play and
>>> spreads those commands over those threads, so read ahead gets too small
>>> to cover the external link latency and fill both links with data, so
>>> that uncovered latency kills throughput.
>> Additionally, if the uncovered external link latency is too large, one
>> more factor is getting noticeable: storage rotation latency. If the next
>> unread sector is missed to be read at time, server has to wait a full
>> rotation to start receiving data for the next block, which even more
>> decreases the resulting throughput.
>
> Thank you for the details. I've been working slowly on the idea, and
> should be able to send you a patch in the next one or two days.

Actually, there's one more thing, which should have been mentioned. It
is possible that remote clients have several sequential read streams at
time together with some "noise" of random requests. A good read-ahead
subsystem should handle such case by keeping big read-ahead windows for
the sequential streams and don't do any read ahead for the random
requests. And all at the same time.

Currently on such workloads read ahead will be completely disabled for
all the requests. Hence, there is a possibility here to improve
performance in 3-5 times or even more by making the workload more linear.

I guess, such functionality can be done by keeping several read-ahead
contexts not in file handle as now, but in inode, or ever in task_struct
similarly to io_context. Or even as a part of struct io_context. Then
those contexts would be rotated in, e.g., round robin manner. I have
some basic thoughts in this area and would be glad to share them, if you
are interested.

Going further, ultimately, it would be great to provide somehow a
capability to allow to assign for each read-ahead stream own IO context,
because on the remote side in most cases such streams would correspond
to different programs reading data in parallel. This should allow to
increase performance even more.