Date:	Mon, 8 Dec 2008 12:14:22 +0100
From:	"Giangiacomo Mariotti" <gg.mariotti@...il.com>
To:	"Hidetoshi Seto" <seto.hidetoshi@...fujitsu.com>
Cc:	"Arjan van de Ven" <arjan@...radead.org>,
	"Robert Hancock" <hancockr@...w.ca>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	"Andi Kleen" <ak@...ux.intel.com>
Subject: Re: [HW PROBLEM] Intel I7 MCE. Erratum or not?

On 12/8/08, Hidetoshi Seto <seto.hidetoshi@...fujitsu.com> wrote:
> Giangiacomo Mariotti wrote:
>> I tried "mce=nobootlog" and the mce log seems to have disappeared :
>
> Good.  It means the error was before the previous reset.
>
>> Now that you mention it, I always shut down the system from Linux,
>> because reboot doesn't work(from windows vista 32bit it works). If I
>> reboot the system from Linux it goes down, but then it enters a cycle
>> of automatic power down power up(with a beep) and it never stops until
>> I switch off the power supply.
>
> Wow... I suppose you had to report & solve it first.
>
> Thanks,
> H.Seto

I guess you're right, but I just guessed it was a bios related
problem, where Linux does the right but wrong thing while windows does
the wrong but right thing, so I thought it would have been a bigger
problem trying to solve it, than simply use an -h instead of an -r.
Anyway, if people actually think this might be useful, I may file a
bug at bugzilla, or I can simply continue this thread if anyone has
something to make me test or any other request to help tracking down
this problem.

Thanks,
Giangiacomo