Date:	Wed, 17 Dec 2008 23:52:21 +0100
From:	Rogier Wolff <R.E.Wolff@...Wizard.nl>
To:	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: FPU emulation broken in 2.6.28-rc8 ?

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:45:39PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Rogier Wolff <R.E.Wolff@...Wizard.nl> writes:
> >>
> >> I'm trying to set up a thin client, which runs on a geode, which
> >> apparently doesn't have a FPU.... (/proc/cpuinfo mentions the flag
> >> "fpu", what does THAT mean?)
>
> Geodes all have FPUs to my knowledge.
> The only FPU less x87s are 386s and special 486s (and a few emulators)
>
> If the FPU doesn't work on the Geode something else must be broken
> (or your CPU is not really a Geode)

Although the /proc/cpuinfo file shows the FPU flag, the kernel stops
with "no fpu found, and math emulation not present" if I disable
FP emulation....

chipolata:/etc/X11# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : CyrixInstead
cpu family      : 5
model           : 9
model name      : Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by National Semi
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 299.913
cache size      : 16 KB
fdiv_bug        : yes
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : no
fpu_exception   : no
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu tsc msr cx8 cmov mmx cxmmx
bogomips        : 599.82
clflush size    : 32
power management:

	Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@...Wizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **