Date:	Mon, 22 Dec 2008 21:36:43 +0100 (CET)
From:	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
cc:	Fabio Comolli <fabio.comolli@...il.com>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Steven Rostedt <srostedt@...hat.com>, dsaxena@...xity.net,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Dave Kleikamp <shaggy@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	toralf.foerster@....de
Subject: Re: TSC not updating after resume: Bug or Feature?

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

> > > Hmm, does not ring a bell here. Can you please apply the patch below to
> > > mainline and retest ?
> >
> > ... and he should send a dmesg after a suspend cycle, right?
>
> Yes :)
>
> I digged more in the bugzillas. Toralf added some debug to
> __update_sched_clock():
>
> -       max_clock = wrap_max(scd->clock, scd->tick_gtod + TICK_NSEC);
> +       max_clock = scd->tick_gtod + TICK_NSEC;
> +       if (scd->clock > max_clock)
> +               printk(KERN_INFO "%d %d\n", scd->clock, max_clock);
>
> The interesting output is:
>
> Dec 14 21:55:55 n22 Back to C!
> Dec 14 21:55:55 n22 Extended CMOS year: 2000
> Dec 14 21:55:55 n22 Force enabled HPET at resume
> Dec 14 21:55:55 n22 212611283 77
>
> The 77 is totaly bogus and it's likely not just a truncation of the
> 64bit value because (scd->clock > max_clock) evaluates to true. This
> output is _AFTER_ timekeeping resume because the HPET force enable
> message comes from timekeeping resume.

Seems I'm talking to myself, but I think I finally decoded the
mystery:

resume()
  cpufreq_resume()
    tsc:time_cpufreq_notifier()
      set_cyc2ns_scale()
        sched_clock_idle_sleep_event()
          sched_clock_tick()
            ktime_get()
              hpet_read()

This happens _BEFORE_ timekeeping has resumed, so hpet_read() returns
nonsense and the timekeeping code uses the stale pre suspend
xtime/clocksource reference values to calculate the time. So the gtod
reference in sched_clock can result in total crap depending on the
time when the suspend happened.

Shaggys patch clamps sched_clock to the stale scd->clock value which
might explain the further wreckage.

The above sequence happens only for CPUs with a CPU frequency coupled
TSC, so on newer machines with CPU frequency invariant TSC this does
not happen.

/me stomps off to find a box to confirm that.

Thanks,

	tglx