Date:	Mon, 29 Dec 2008 09:54:58 -0500
From:	Ric Wheeler <rwheeler@...hat.com>
To:	Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@....uio.no>
CC:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>, dhowells@...hat.com,
	Bernd Schubert <bernd.schubert@...tmail.fm>,
	nfsv4@...ux-nfs.org, hch@...radead.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, steved@...hat.com,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-next@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Pull request for FS-Cache, including NFS patches

Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-12-28 at 20:01 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 14:45:33 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi David,

>>> What was the result of discussions around FS-Cache?
>>>
>> There was none.
>>
>> Dan Muntz's question:
>>
>>   Solaris has had CacheFS since ~1995, HPUX had a port of it since
>>   ~1997.  I'd be interested in evidence of even a small fraction of
>>   Solaris and/or HPUX shops using CacheFS.  I am aware of customers who
>>   thought it sounded like a good idea, but ended up ditching it for
>>   various reasons (e.g., CacheFS just adds overhead if you almost
>>   always hit your local mem cache).
>>
>> was an very very good one.
>>
>> Seems that instead of answering it, we've decided to investigate the
>> fate of those who do not learn from history.
>>

> David has given you plenty of arguments for why it helps scale the
> server (including specific workloads), has given you numbers validating
> his claim, and has presented claims that Red Hat has customers using
> cachefs in RHEL-5.
> The arguments I've seen against it, have so far been:
>
>      1. Solaris couldn't sell their implementation
>      2. It's too big
>      3. It's intrusive
>
> Argument (1) has so far appeared to be pure FUD. In order to discuss the
> lessons of history, you need to first do the work of analysing and
> understanding it first. I really don't see how it is relevant to Linux
> whether or not the Solaris and HPUX cachefs implementations worked out
> unless you can demonstrate that that their experience shows some fatal
> flaw in the arguments and numbers that David presented, and that his
> customers are deluded.
> If you want examples of permanent caches that clearly do help servers
> scale, then look no further than the on-disk caches used in almost all
> http browser implemantations. Alternatively, as David mentioned, there
> are the on-disk caches used by AFS/DFS/coda.

I can add that our Red Hat customers who tried the cachefs preview did
find it useful for their workloads (and, by the way, also use the
Solaris cachefs on solaris boxes if I remember correctly).  They have
been nagging me and others at Red Hat about getting it into supported
state for quite a while :-)

As you point out, this is all about getting more clients to be driven by
a set of NFS servers.

Regards,

Ric