Date:	Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:12:12 -0800 (PST)
From:	david@...g.hm
To:	Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@...il.com>
cc:	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>,
	linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: early exception error

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

> [david@...g.hm - Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 05:39:29PM -0800]

>>> This might be obvious, but you can't grep directly for these addresses
>>> because System.map contains the starting addresses of functions only
>>> and normally the reported address is somewhere in the middle of a
>>> function. So you instead have to look for the highest number lower or equal
>>> the address from the exception.
>>
>> thanks, this was not obvious to me
>>
>> the -2 error maps to
>>
>> ffffffff8099e4c1 T free_bootmem_node
>> ffffffff8099e4e5 t alloc_bootmem_core
>> ffffffff8099e774 t ___alloc_bootmem_nopanic
>>

>> the first error maps to
>>
>> ffffffff809c2de4 T free_bootmem_node
>> ffffffff809c2e08 t alloc_bootmem_core
>> ffffffff809c3097 t ___alloc_bootmem_nopanic
>>

>> so it looks like this is in alloc_bootmem_core in both cases.
>>
>> David Lang
>>

> Along with Andi's proposed earlyprintk=vga I think
> bootmem_debug option could be usefull here too.

adding bootmem_debug creates so much additonal output that the oops
scrolls off the screen (except the last 'paragraph' of it)

it looks like it's individual items being allocated (trying to scan it as
it scrolled by)

if that output is needed I will need to setup a serial console to gather
it (can this be done for the earlyprintk?)

David Lang