Date:	Wed, 31 Dec 2008 22:43:06 +0100 (CET)
From:	Jesper Juhl <jj@...osbits.net>
To:	Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@...il.com>
cc:	linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: 2.6.28: BUG in r8169

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008, Andrey Vul wrote:

> trigger: wget 192.168.1.42/jdk-6-sdk-docs.zip
> eth0 speed grinds to zero in a few seconds
> IIRC r8169 worked fine in 2.6.27.8
> Anybody want to assist me with my first git bisect?

There is lots of documentation, tutorials and howto documents etc on git
bisect online.

Here are a few:
 http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-bisect.html
 http://www.reactivated.net/weblog/archives/2006/01/using-git-bisect-to-find-buggy-kernel-patches/
 http://kerneltrap.org/node/11753
 http://jbowes.dangerouslyinc.com/2007/02/18/git-bisect-a-practical-example-with-yum/
 http://desprofundis.blogspot.com/2008/06/git-bisect-instructions.html
 http://elinux.org/Notes_On_Git_Bisect#bisect

Mostly it's as simple as
 install git
 clone (usually) Linus' tree
 $ git bisect start
 $ git bisect bad v[bad-version]
 $ git bisect goot v[good-version]
 git now checks out a version to test, copy in your config, run make
oldconfig, copile, test, then run
 $ git bisect [good|bad]
 depending on the result of the test and repeat with the next version git
spits out until git tells you what the bad commit is.

--
Jesper Juhl <jj@...osbits.net>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html