Date:	Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:23:27 +0100
From:	Alain Knaff <alain@...ff.lu>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
CC:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Al Viro <viro@....linux.org.uk>
Subject: Re: The policy on initramfs decompression failure

Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Alain Knaff <alain@...ff.lu> wrote:
>
>> Ingo Molnar wrote:
>>> And your argument makes little sense: if there is something wrong then one
>>> looks at the logs _anyway_.
>> Unfortunately, not everybody has the knowledge or equipment ready to set
>> up a serial console... [...]
>
> By your argument the ton of warnings we emit in various situations are
> wrong too and all should be panic()s.

That is not my argument. I never said something like that.

I don't know, but I have to wonder about the strength of _your_ position if
the only way to defend it is to put words into other people's mouth.

> That argument is bogus.

Indeed that argument is bogus. However, I'm not sure where it is coming from...

> Not looking at the logs makes boot problem analysis harder of course. Nor
> is your argument actually true: you can use printk_delay or any other
> method.

This is interesting information. Where can I find documentation about this?
Neither google, nor a find-grep in the kernel sources turned up anything
useful...

> Or you can use the VGA console and use shift-pageup ...

No you can't. Try it. Or is this only a kvm artifact?

> 	Ingo

Alain