Date:	Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:57:08 +1100
From:	Lachlan McIlroy <lachlan@....com>
To:	Lachlan McIlroy <lachlan@....com>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>,
	Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka@...hat.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, xfs@....sgi.com
Subject: Re: spurious -ENOSPC on XFS

Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 04:58:01PM +1100, Lachlan McIlroy wrote:
>> Christoph Hellwig wrote:

>> This sounds like a problem with speculative allocation - delayed allocations
>> beyond eof.  Even if we write a small file, say 4k, a 64k chunk of delayed
>> allocation will be credited to the file.
>
> The second retry occurs without speculative EOF allocation. That's
> what the BMAPI_SYNC flag does....
By then it's too late.  There could already be many files with delayed
allocations beyond eof that are unneccesarily consuming space.  I suspect
that when those files are flushed some are not able to convert the full
delayed allocation in one extent and only convert what is needed to write
out data.  The remaining unused delayed allocation is released and that's
why the freespace is going up and down.