Date:	Sun, 25 Jan 2009 07:55:46 -0500 (EST)
From:	Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@...idpixels.com>
To:	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>
cc:	linux-ide@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	xfs@....sgi.com
Subject: Re: Switching from (deprecated) IDE driver -> SATA (PATA support)
 (found solution)

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, Justin Piszcz wrote:

        root=<root-device>
               This specifies the device that should be mounted  as  root.   It
               may  be  specified as a global option.  If the special name cur-
               rent is used, the root device is set to the device on which  the
               root  file  system  is  currently  mounted. If the root has been
               changed with  -r , the respective device is used. If  the  vari-
               able `root' is omitted, the root device setting contained in the
               kernel image is used.  (And that is set at  compile  time  using
               the  ROOT_DEV  variable in the kernel Makefile, and can later be
               changed with the rdev(8) program.)

Change root= to root=current && lilo && reboot, this works as well, note I did
have the proper UUIDs set in /etc/fstab before doing this.

Trying without changing /etc/fstab, back to old entries:
/dev/hda2     /               xfs     noatime         0       1
/dev/hda1      none            swap    sw              0       0
#UUID=77ae4251-631f-4656-a365-c5723f5c5da8      /               xfs     noatime         0       1
#UUID=2ef862e1-cf78-4065-a205-d1784716d633      none            swap    sw              0       0

(which are wrong)

p254:~# df -h
/dev/sdd2              73G  2.2G   71G   3% /
p254:~# df -h

But using current!

p254:~# grep current /etc/lilo.conf
# case it installs in the MBR, and will overwrite the current MBR.
root=current
         root=current
p254:~#

p254:~# reboot

Does it come back?

$ uptime
  07:55:16 up 0 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.71, 0.20, 0.07

Yes it does, so the work-around is to use root=current, fix up your /etc/fstab
and other files after.

Justin.