Date:	Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:55:14 +0900
From:	MinChan Kim <minchan.kim@...il.com>
To:	Lee Schermerhorn <Lee.Schermerhorn@...com>
Cc:	linux mm <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
	linux kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Nick Piggin <npiggin@...e.de>,
	KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@...fujitsu.com>
Subject: Re: [BUG] mlocked page counter mismatch

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:33:52AM -0500, Lee Schermerhorn wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 19:28 +0900, MinChan Kim wrote:
> > After executing following program, 'cat /proc/meminfo' shows
> > following result.
> >
> > --
> > # cat /proc/meminfo
> > ..
> > Unevictable:           8 kB
> > Mlocked:               8 kB
> > ..
>
> Sorry, from your description, I can't understand what the problem is.
> Are you saying that 8kB [2 pages] remains locked after you run your
> test?

Yes.
Sorry. My explanation was not enought.

> What did meminfo show before running the test program?  And what kernel
> version?

The meminfo showed mlocked, unevictable pages was zero.
My kernel version is 2.6.29-rc2.

> > -- test program --
> >
> > #include <stdio.h>
> > #include <sys/mman.h>
> > int main()
> > {
> >         char buf[64] = {0,};
> >         char *ptr;
> >         int k;
> >         int i,j;
> >         int x,y;
> >         mlockall(MCL_CURRENT);
> >         sprintf(buf, "cat /proc/%d/maps", getpid());
> >         system(buf);
> >         return 0;
> > }
> >
> > --
> >
> > It seems mlocked page counter have a problem.
> > After I diged in source, I found that try_to_unmap_file called
> > try_to_mlock_page about shared mapping pages
> > since other vma had VM_LOCKED flag.
> > After all, try_to_mlock_page called mlock_vma_page.
> > so, mlocked counter increased
>
> This path of try_to_unmap_file() -> try_to_mlock_page() should only be
> invoked during reclaim--from shrink_page_list().  [try_to_unmap() is
> also called from page migration, but in this case, try_to_unmap_one()
> won't return SWAP_MLOCK so we don't call try_to_mlock_page().]  Unless
> your system is in continuous reclaim, I don't think you'd hit this
> during your test program.

My system was not reclaim mode. It could be called following path.
exit_mmap -> munlock_vma_pages_all->munlock_vma_page->try_to_munlock->
try_to_unmap_file->try_to_mlock_page

> > But, After I called munlockall intentionally, the counter work well.
> > In case of munlockall, we already had a mmap_sem about write.
> > Such a case, try_to_mlock_page can't call mlock_vma_page.
> > so, mlocked counter didn't increased.
> > As a result, the counter seems to be work well but I think
> > it also have a problem.
>
> I THINK this is a artifact of the way stats are accumulated in per cpu
> differential counters and pushed to the zone state accumulators when a
> threshold is reached.  I've seen this condition before, but it
> eventually clears itself as the stats get pushed to the zone state.
> Still, it bears more investigation, as it's been a while since I worked
> on this and some subsequent fixes could have broken it:

Hmm... My test result is as follow.

1) without munlockall
before:

root@...rios-target-linux:~# tail -8 /proc/vmstat
unevictable_pgs_culled 0
unevictable_pgs_scanned 0
unevictable_pgs_rescued 0
unevictable_pgs_mlocked 0
unevictable_pgs_munlocked 0
unevictable_pgs_cleared 0
unevictable_pgs_stranded 0
unevictable_pgs_mlockfreed 0

root@...rios-target-linux:~# cat /proc/meminfo | egrep 'Mlo|Unev'
Unevictable:           0 kB
Mlocked:               0 kB

after:
root@...rios-target-linux:~# tail -8 /proc/vmstat
unevictable_pgs_culled 369
unevictable_pgs_scanned 0
unevictable_pgs_rescued 388
unevictable_pgs_mlocked 392
unevictable_pgs_munlocked 387
unevictable_pgs_cleared 1
unevictable_pgs_stranded 0
unevictable_pgs_mlockfreed 0

root@...rios-target-linux:~# cat /proc/meminfo | egrep 'Mlo|Unev'
Unevictable:           8 kB
Mlocked:               8 kB

after dropping cache

root@...rios-target-linux:~# cat /proc/meminfo | egrep 'Mlo|Unev'
Unevictable:           4 kB
Mlocked:               4 kB

2) with munlockall

barrios-target@...rios-target-linux:~$ tail -8 /proc/vmstat
unevictable_pgs_culled 0
unevictable_pgs_scanned 0
unevictable_pgs_rescued 0
unevictable_pgs_mlocked 0
unevictable_pgs_munlocked 0
unevictable_pgs_cleared 0
unevictable_pgs_stranded 0
unevictable_pgs_mlockfreed 0

barrios-target@...rios-target-linux:~$ cat /proc/meminfo | egrep 'Mlo|Unev'
Unevictable:           0 kB
Mlocked:               0 kB

after

root@...rios-target-linux:~# tail -8 /proc/vmstat
unevictable_pgs_culled 369
unevictable_pgs_scanned 0
unevictable_pgs_rescued 389
unevictable_pgs_mlocked 389
unevictable_pgs_munlocked 389
unevictable_pgs_cleared 0
unevictable_pgs_stranded 0
unevictable_pgs_mlockfreed 0

root@...rios-target-linux:~# cat /proc/meminfo | egrep 'Mlo|Unev'
Unevictable:           0 kB
Mlocked:               0 kB

Both tests have to show same result.
But is didn't.

I think it's not per-cpu problem.

When I digged in the source, I found that.
In case of test without munlockall, try_to_unmap_file calls try_to_mlock_page
since some pages are mapped several vmas(I don't know why that pages is shared
other vma in same process. One of page which i have seen is test program's
first code page[page->index : 0 vma->vm_pgoff : 0]. It was mapped by data vma, too).
Other vma have VM_LOCKED.
So try_to_unmap_file calls try_to_mlock_page. Then, After calling
successful down_read_try_lock call, mlock_vma_page increased mlocked
counter again.

In case of test with munlockall, try_to_mlock_page's down_read_trylock
couldn't be sucessful. That's because munlockall called down_write.
At result, try_to_mlock_page cannot call try_to_mlock_page. so, mlocked counter
don't increased. I think it's not right.
But fortunately Mlocked number is right. :(

--
Kinds Regards
MinChan Kim