Date:	Tue, 03 Feb 2009 14:37:51 -0800
From:	Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@...p.org>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
CC:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Jaswinder Singh Rajput <jaswinderrajput@...il.com>,
	randy.dunlap@...cle.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	x86@...nel.org, Andrea Righi <righi.andrea@...il.com>
Subject: Re: mmotm 2009-02-02-17-12 uploaded (x86/nopmd etc.)

Ingo Molnar wrote:
> the include file spaghetti is ... interesting there, and it's historic.
>
> I could blame it on highmem, PAE or paravirt - but i'll only blame it on
> paravirt for now because those developers are still around! ;-)

Hey, don't forget unification, if we're pointing fingers ;)

> Jeremy, any ideas how to reduce the historic dependency mess in that area?
> I think we should go on three routes at once:
>
>  - agressive splitup and separation of type definitions from method
>    declaration (+ inline definitions). The spinlock_types.h / spinlock.h
>    splitup was really nice in solving such dependency problems.

That already exists to some extent, though I don't think it's being used
to maximum advantage (pgtable-[23]level.h vs pgtable-[23]level-defs.h).
For consistency we'd have  pgtable-4level(-defs).h headers too, and
top-level pgtable.h/pgtable-defs.h headers.  But its not clear to me
that would even be enough...

>  - uninlining of methods: instead of macro-ing them - wherever possible.
>    It's really hard to mess up type + externs headers - while headers with
>    inlines and macros mixed in get painful quickly.

Yes.  I went through a period of fairly aggressive inline->macro
conversion, and in many cases the remaining macros are there to #include
hell.

>  - removal of spurious pile of dozens of #include lines in header files.

Yeah, it would be useful to make sure that each header only #includes
the bare minimum headers to satisfy its own definitions - but of course
that's going to provoke a long series of #include whack-a-mole patches.