Date:	Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:03:31 -0800
From:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
To:	Alain Knaff <alain@...ff.lu>
CC:	Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...ozas.de>, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	the arch/x86 maintainers <x86@...nel.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: tip: bzip2/lzma now in tip:x86/setup-lzma

Alain Knaff wrote:

> Could you please elaborate why you consider this so wrong?

Because in some flows, a large initramfs is built without
CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE.  More fundamentally, it's a bad case of trying
to guess what the user wants based on unrelated criteria than simply
making it configured.

What we should have done in the first place is to make the initrd
compression selectable just like the kernel compression, with the
additional option of uncompressed (which some people want for the main
kernel, by the way; we just don't have it at the moment.)  I don't know
if we can set it up in Kconfig to default to the same compression as the
kernel uses, but more importantly we can constrain it to the supported
initrd compressions.

	-hpa