Date:	Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:56:17 -0800 (PST)
From:	Nick Levinson <nick_levinson@...oo.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: suggest make standard list of CR/LF prefs that apps can read for portability

Battling between Windows Notepad, Linux gedit, and OpenOffice.org conventions on how paragraphs are separated in text files using CR and LF characters, I'd like the ability to set a preference the same way I'd set one for currency or daylight savings time. A user wouldn't have to pick, but if a user does all applications could agree with it.

It would be up to each application designer to comply or not. Noncompliant apps should not break.

Among the options: whatever the application normally sets if I have no preference, CR alone, LF alone, CR+LF, and LF+CR. It might be nice if among the options was one to simply choose that in a well-known stable application, such as one of those above. Each user could have their own pref. And an app could override it.

Thanx.

--
Nick