Date:	Tue, 03 Mar 2009 17:17:35 +0100
From:	Cedric Le Goater <legoater@...e.fr>
To:	Alexey Dobriyan <adobriyan@...il.com>
CC:	"Serge E. Hallyn" <serue@...ibm.com>, linux-api@...r.kernel.org,
	containers@...ts.linux-foundation.org, mpm@...enic.com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Dave Hansen <dave@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>, linux-mm@...ck.org,
	tglx@...utronix.de, viro@...iv.linux.org.uk, hpa@...or.com,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, torvalds@...ux-foundation.org,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>, xemul@...nvz.org
Subject: Re: How much of a mess does OpenVZ make? ;) Was: What can OpenVZ
 do?

>> 1. cap_sys_admin check is unfortunate.  In discussions about Oren's
>> patchset we've agreed that not having that check from the outset forces
>> us to consider security with each new patch and feature, which is a good
>> thing.
>
> Removing CAP_SYS_ADMIN on restore?

we've kept the capabilities in our patchset but the user tools doing checkpoint
and restart are setcap'ed appropriately to be able to do different things like :

	clone() the namespaces
	mount /dev/mqueue
	interact with net_ns
	etc.

at restart, the task are restarted through execve() so they loose their
capabilities automatically.

but I think we could drop the CAP_SYS_ADMIN tests for some namespaces,
uts and ipc are good candidates. I guess network should require some
privilege.

C.