Date:	Sat, 07 Mar 2009 19:47:04 +0100
From:	Balazs Scheidler <bazsi@...abit.hu>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: scheduler oddity [bug?]

On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 18:47 +0100, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing an odd behaviour from the Linux scheduler. I have an
> application that feeds data to another process using a pipe. Both
> processes use a fair amount of CPU time apart from writing to/reading
> from this pipe.
>
> The machine I'm running on  is an Opteron Quad-Core CPU:
> model name	: Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2347 HE
> stepping	: 3
>
> What I see is that only one of the cores is used, the other three is
> idling without doing any work. If I explicitly set the CPU affinity of
> the processes to use distinct CPUs the performance goes up
> significantly. (e.g. it starts to use the other cores and the load
> scales linearly).
>
> I've tried to reproduce the problem by writing a small test program,
> which you can find attached. The program creates two processes, one
> feeds the other using a pipe and each does a series of memset() calls to
> simulate CPU load. I've also added capability to the program to set its
> own CPU affinity. The results (the more the better):
>
> Without enabling CPU affinity:
> $ ./a.out
> Check: 0 loops/sec, sum: 1
> Check: 12 loops/sec, sum: 13
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 54
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 95
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 136
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 177
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 218
> Check: 40 loops/sec, sum: 258
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 299
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 340
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 381
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 422
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 463
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 504
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 545
> Check: 40 loops/sec, sum: 585
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 626
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 667
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 708
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 749
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 790
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 831
> Final: 39 loops/sec, sum: 831
>

> With CPU affinity:
> # ./a.out 1
> Check: 0 loops/sec, sum: 1
> Check: 41 loops/sec, sum: 42
> Check: 49 loops/sec, sum: 91
> Check: 49 loops/sec, sum: 140
> Check: 49 loops/sec, sum: 189
> Check: 49 loops/sec, sum: 238
> Check: 49 loops/sec, sum: 287
> Check: 50 loops/sec, sum: 337
> Check: 49 loops/sec, sum: 386
> Check: 49 loops/sec, sum: 435
> Check: 49 loops/sec, sum: 484
> Check: 49 loops/sec, sum: 533
> Check: 49 loops/sec, sum: 582
> Check: 49 loops/sec, sum: 631
> Check: 49 loops/sec, sum: 680
> Check: 49 loops/sec, sum: 729
> Check: 49 loops/sec, sum: 778
> Check: 49 loops/sec, sum: 827
> Check: 49 loops/sec, sum: 876
> Check: 49 loops/sec, sum: 925
> Check: 50 loops/sec, sum: 975
> Check: 49 loops/sec, sum: 1024
> Final: 48 loops/sec, sum: 1024

> [...]

One new interesting information: I've retested with a 2.6.22 based
kernel, and it still works there, setting the CPU affinity does not
change the performance of the test program and mpstat nicely shows that
2 cores are working, not just one.

Maybe this is CFS related? That was merged for 2.6.23 IIRC.

Also, I tried changing various scheduler knobs
in /proc/sys/kernel/sched_* but they didn't help. I've tried to change
these:

 * sched_migration_cost: changed from the default 500000 to 100000 and
then 10000 but neither helped.
 * sched_nr_migrate: increased it to 64, but again nothing

I'm starting to think that this is a regression that may or may not be
related to CFS.

I don't have a box where I could bisect on, but the test program makes
the problem quite obvious.

--
Bazsi