Date:	Tue, 10 Mar 2009 18:26:05 +0100
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>
Cc:	prasad@...ux.vnet.ibm.com,
	Roland McGrath <roland@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: [patch 02/11] x86 architecture implementation of Hardware
	Breakpoint interfaces

* Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu> wrote:

> > > These _are_ the arch-specific accessors.  Look at the
> > > filename: arch/x86/include/asm/hw_breakpoint.h.
> >
> > I very well know which file this is, you need to read my reply
> > again.
> >
> > These are very generic-sounding fields and they should not be
> > hidden via pointless wrappers by the generic code. Dont let the
> > tail wag the dog. If there's architecture weirdness that does
> > not fit the generic code, then _that_ architecture should have
> > the ugliness - not the generic code. (note that these accessors
> > are used by the generic code so the uglification spreads there)
>
> Hm.  I haven't been keeping careful track of all the updates
> Prasad has been making.  In my fairly-old copy of the
> hw-breakpoint work, the accessors are _not_ used by the
> generic code.  They are there for future users of the API, not
> for internal use by the API itself.  Is there something I'm
> missing?

Right, they do seem unused at the moment. I was going over the
patches and this stuck out as wrong.

> I have the feeling that this doesn't really address your
> comment, but I'm not sure if that's because I don't understand
> your point or you don't understand mine...

Removing them addresses my comment.

> > These are very generic-sounding fields ...
>
> Would you be happier if the field names were changed to be
> less generic-sounding?

Not sure what to make of this kind of reply. This isnt about me
being happier. Generic-sounding accessors for generic-sounding
fields is an easily recognizable pattern for broken design.

> > > No.  gennum has nothing to do with priorities.
> >
> > Well it's introduced because we have a priority-sorted list of
> > breakpoints not an array.
>
> More generally, it's there because kernel & userspace
> breakpoints can be installed and uninstalled while a task is
> running -- and yes, this is partially because breakpoints are
> prioritized.  (Although it's worth pointing out that even your
> suggestion of always prioritizing kernel breakpoints above
> userspace breakpoints would have the same effect.)  However
> the fact that the breakpoints are stored in a list rather than
> an array doesn't seem to be relevant.
>
> > A list needs to be maintained and when updated it's
> > reloaded.
>
> The same is true of an array.

Not if what we do what the previous code did: reloaded the full
array unconditionally. (it's just 4 entries)

> > I was thinking about possibly getting rid of that list
> > complication and go back to the simpler array. But it's hard
> > because the lifetime of a kernel space breakpoint spans
> > context-switches so there has to be separation.
>
> Yes, kernel breakpoints have to be kept separate from
> userspace breakpoints.  But even if you focus just on
> userspace breakpoints, you still need to use a list because
> debuggers can try to register an arbitrarily large number of
> breakpoints.

That 'arbitrarily larg number of breakpoints' worries me. It's a
pretty broken concept for a 4-items resource that cannot be
time-shared and hence cannot be overcommitted.

Seems to me that much of the complexity of this patchset:

Could be eliminated via a very simple exclusive reservation
mechanism.

	Ingo