Date:	Fri, 13 Mar 2009 22:35:00 +0300
From:	Alexey Dobriyan <adobriyan@...il.com>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	Sukadev Bhattiprolu <sukadev@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Ying Han <yinghan@...gle.com>,
	"Serge E. Hallyn" <serue@...ibm.com>, linux-api@...r.kernel.org,
	containers@...ts.linux-foundation.org, hpa@...or.com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Dave Hansen <dave@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>, linux-mm@...ck.org,
	viro@...iv.linux.org.uk, mingo@...e.hu, mpm@...enic.com,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>, xemul@...nvz.org,
	tglx@...utronix.de
Subject: Re: How much of a mess does OpenVZ make? ;) Was: What can OpenVZ
	do?

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:27:54AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009, Sukadev Bhattiprolu wrote:
>
> > Ying Han [yinghan@...gle.com] wrote:
> > | Hi Serge:
> > | I made a patch based on Oren's tree recently which implement a new
> > | syscall clone_with_pid. I tested with checkpoint/restart process tree
> > | and it works as expected.
> >
> > Yes, I think we had a version of clone() with pid a while ago.
>
> Are people _at_all_ thinking about security?
>
> Obviously not.

For the record, OpenVZ always have CAP_SYS_ADMIN check on restore.
And CAP_SYS_ADMIN will be in version to be sent out.

Not having it is one big security hole.

> There's no way we can do anything like this. Sure, it's trivial to do
> inside the kernel. But it also sounds like a _wonderful_ attack vector
> against badly written user-land software that sends signals and has small
> races.
>
> Quite frankly, from having followed the discussion(s) over the last few
> weeks about checkpoint/restart in various forms, my reaction to just about
> _all_ of this is that people pushing this are pretty damn borderline.
>
> I think you guys are working on all the wrong problems.
>
> Let's face it, we're not going to _ever_ checkpoint any kind of general
> case process. Just TCP makes that fundamentally impossible in the general
> case, and there are lots and lots of other cases too (just something as
> totally _trivial_ as all the files in the filesystem that don't get rolled
> back).

What do you mean here? Unlinked files?

> So unless people start realizing that
>  (a) processes that want to be checkpointed had better be ready and aware
>      of it, and help out

This is not going to happen. Userspace authors won't do anything
(nor they shouldn't).

>  (b) there's no way in hell that we're going to add these kinds of
>      interfaces that have dubious upsides (just teach the damn program
>      you're checkpointing that pids will change, and admit to everybody
>      that people who want to be checkpointed need to do work) and are
>      potential security holes.

I personally don't understand why on earth clone_with_pid() is again
with us.

As if pids are somehow unique among other resources.

It was discussed when IPC objects creation with specific parameters were
discussed.

"struct pid" and "struct pid_namespace" can be trivially restored
without leaking to userspace.

People probably assume that task should be restored with clone(2) which
is unnatural given relations between task_struct, nsproxy and individual
struct foo_namespace's