Date:	Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:32:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Jesper Krogh <jesper@...gh.cc>
cc:	john stultz <johnstul@...ibm.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Len Brown <len.brown@...el.com>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.6.29-rc6

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009, Jesper Krogh wrote:

> I went on to trying Thomas Gleixners patch (which seems to do excactly the
> same .. ), I'll write a reply in to that message in a few minutes.

Side note: no, Thomas' patch doesn't do at all exactly the same. It does
something similar, in that it looks at the time differences between calls
to the whole "wait for the PIT MSB to change" function, but those
differences _could_ in theory be very small, even if the error is very
big.

That's especially true if the PIT read ends up serializing with the PIT,
so that the "wait for MSB" essentially always takes exactly the same
amount of cycles (giving a zero error estimation in Thomas' version), but
the reads themselves can still be quite slow (giving a non-zero error term
in the end result).

IOW, Thomas' patch is good at finding variability in the reads - which
could be the result of SMM interaction, while my patch literally measures
how long it takes to read the MSB change.

Now in practice I suspect the variability in the MSB reads _probably_
correlate reasonably well with how long a single PIT read will take (ie
rather than finding variability due to SMM interaction, it will find
variability due to the "quanitization" effect of the reads taking a
reasonably long time), so I suspect that in many cases Thomas' patch will
error out for the same cases mine does.

But the two patches are rather fundamentally different.

		Linus