Date:	Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:29:30 +0100
From:	Frans Pop <elendil@...net.nl>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	tytso@....edu, mingo@...e.hu, jack@...e.cz,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk,
	arjan@...radead.org, a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl, npiggin@...e.de,
	jens.axboe@...cle.com, drees76@...il.com, jesper@...gh.cc,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, oleg@...hat.com, roland@...hat.com
Subject: Re: ext3 IO latency measurements (was: Linux 2.6.29)

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> And quite frankly, even if you then _manually_ put 'relatime' in
> /etc/fstab, the default Fedora install will totally ignore it. Why?
> Because it mounts the root partition while using initrd, and totally
> ignores /etc/fstab.

That's a difference between Fedora's initrd and Debian/Ubuntu's
initramfs-tools then. We do respect the mount options in fstab for the
root partition when root is mounted from the initrd:

$ cat /etc/fstab | grep " / "
/dev/mapper/main-root /      ext3    relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1

$ mount | grep " / "
/dev/mapper/main-root on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)

$ cat /proc/cmdline
root=/dev/mapper/main-root ro vga=791 quiet

Cheers,
FJP