Date:	Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:31:52 +0100
From:	Markus Metzger <markus.t.metzger@...glemail.com>
To:	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
Cc:	"Metzger, Markus T" <markus.t.metzger@...el.com>,
	"mingo@...e.hu" <mingo@...e.hu>,
	"tglx@...utronix.de" <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	"hpa@...or.com" <hpa@...or.com>,
	"roland@...hat.com" <roland@...hat.com>,
	"eranian@...glemail.com" <eranian@...glemail.com>,
	"Villacis, Juan" <juan.villacis@...el.com>,
	"ak@...ux.jf.intel.com" <ak@...ux.jf.intel.com>
Subject: Re: [patch 3/14] x86, ptrace, bts: stop bts tracing early in
	do_exit

On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 18:24 +0100, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
> On 03/27, Metzger, Markus T wrote:

Could something like that work?

ds_release_bts(struct bts_tracer *tracer)
{
	struct task_struct *task =
		tracer->ds.context->task;

	do {
		set_task_state(task, TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE);
	while (!wait_task_inactive(task, TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE));

	ds_suspend_bts(tracer);
	ds_free_bts(tracer);

	wake_up_process(task);
}

I guess it would not work in general, since task could already sleep
on some event and be woken up after the do loop.

I was thinking it might work for the exit race, since we don't sleep
during exit, but it might have started sleeping before the SIGKILL.

Isn't this a general problem for ptrace?

Ptrace uses a similar pattern in ptrace_check_attach().
It stops the traced task, but that task might wake up immediately after
that check. It might be scheduled in any time during a ptrace operation.

In that case, must I always assume I'm operating on a running task?

regards,
markus.