Date:	Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:27:20 +1100
From:	Neil Brown <neilb@...e.de>
To:	Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>
Cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Ric Wheeler <rwheeler@...hat.com>,
	"Andreas T.Auer" <andreas.t.auer_lkml_73537@...us.ath.cx>,
	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>, Mark Lord <lkml@....ca>,
	Stefan Richter <stefanr@...6.in-berlin.de>,
	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>,
	Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...f.ucam.org>,
	David Rees <drees76@...il.com>, Jesper Krogh <jesper@...gh.cc>,
Subject: Re: Linux 2.6.29

On Monday March 30, riel@...hat.com wrote:
> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Ric Wheeler wrote:
>
> >> Heat is a major killer of spinning drives (as is severe cold). A lot of times,
> >> drives that have read errors only (not failed writes) might be fully
> >> recoverable if you can re-write that injured sector.
> >
> > It's not worked for me, and yes, I've tried.
>
> It's worked here.  It would be nice to have a device mapper module
> that can just insert itself between the disk and the higher device
> mapper layer and "scrub" the disk, fetching unreadable sectors from
> the other RAID copy where required.

You want to start using 'md' :-)
With raid0,1,4,5,6,10, if it gets a read error, it find the data from
elsewhere and tries to over-write the read error and then read back.
If that all works, then it assume the drive is still good.
This happens during normal IO and all when you 'scrub' the array which
e.g. Debian does on the first Sunday of the month by default.

NeilBrown