Date:	Wed, 15 Apr 2009 19:17:07 -0700
From:	Hal Murray <hmurray@...apathdsl.net>
To:	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>
Cc:	Mark Lord <lkml@....ca>, Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>,
	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>,
	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>, hmurray@...apathdsl.net
Subject: Re: USB storage no-boot regression (bisected)

> .... who would boot their server from a USB stick for production use?

I've worked on a project that was doing that.  Think of embedded computing
rather than a typical box in a server farm.

If you want to do something slightly more complicated than monitor
temperature, it's sometimes simpler/cheaper to trim down a real OS than it is
to build up an environment that has everything you need, especially if you
want to do any networking.  With enough RAM, LInux runs fine without a disk,
and if you don't need a GUI, "enough RAM" isn't much by modern standards.

There are several distributions targeted at running out of RAM after booting
from an USB thumb drive or Compact Flash or CD or whatever.

Google for >Linux on a Stick< or >Puppy Linux< for a few starters.