Date:	Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:27:07 +0200
From:	Kasparek Tomas <kasparek@....vutbr.cz>
To:	linux-nfs@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: NFS client packet storm on 2.6.27.x

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 07:17:39AM +0200, Kasparek Tomas wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:16:07AM -0500, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> > >
> > > I was able to finally got the tcpdump. I got it from 2.6.27.19 client but
> > > after several weeks without problems. I include the file and place it on
> > > http://merlin.fit.vutbr.cz/tmp/nfs/dump_kas2_mat.dump_small (have over 1GB
> > > of dump, but it's all the time the same SYN+RST packets). The packet rate
> > > maxed at 260000pps from two clients.
> > >
> > > This dump is taken from server after reset (the server does not respond
> > > even to keybord) before clients are disconnected/rebooted. To remind it - all
> > > clients seems to work well with reversed
> > > e06799f958bf7f9f8fae15f0c6f519953fb0257c
> >
> > Yes. I saw that behaviour when testing at Connectathon last week. When
> > one of the servers I was testing against crashed and later came up
> > again, the patched client went into that same SYN+RST frenzy. I'm
> > planning to look at this now that I'm back at home.
>
> Hi, got a bit more data today as I get to the client early before it become
> unresponsible.
>

> The lockup may be becouse I disconnected the cable from that client to stop
> the packet storm, but still the backtrace may be usefull.
>
> Is there anything else I can do, that will help with this problem?

Hi,

(I changed the SUBJ to be more descriptive for current problem)

I got another client lockup today. It was a desktop so I have some more
dmesg warnings about soft lockup caused probably by network cable unplug
(but hopefully still showing what happens in rpciod) on

http://merlin.fit.vutbr.cz/tmp/nfs/pckas-dmesg

I can check with top, that rpciod was using 100% cpu. I limited the flow
from client to server with firewall so I was able to save the server and
get some tcpdump -s0 data (actually RPC null with ERR response from server)

Just to remind, the client is 2.6.27.21 (i386), the server is 2.6.16.62
(x86_64).

Please let me know if I can do anything more, this is really paintfull for
me.

--

  Tomas Kasparek, PhD student  E-mail: kasparek@....vutbr.cz
  CVT FIT VUT Brno, L127       Web:    http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~kasparek

  jabber: tomas.kasparek@...ber.cz
  GPG: 2F1E 1AAF FD3B CFA3 1537  63BD DCBE 18FF A035 53BC