Date:	Thu, 23 Apr 2009 00:04:00 +0200
From:	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>
To:	Roland McGrath <roland@...hat.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ptracee data structures cleanup

On 04/21, Roland McGrath wrote:

> [We have been on fine details here that are quite purely ptrace innards for
> a while now.  I think discussion at this level of detail about this stuff
> quite far from utrace per se belongs on LKML.]

Agreed. s/utrace-devel/lkml/.

> > > The clean-up should get rid of PT_DTRACE entirely.
> >
> > Agreed. But this needs another patch...
>
> Yes, or several.  It always gets fiddly when to get lots of little arch
> changes merged.  The 90% that are just one-liner removal of wholly unused
> PT_DTRACE can probably go in as a single patch to Linus instead of tiny
> ones through each arch tree.

OK. I'd like to finally do at least something. Please look at the 4 patches
attached.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about these arches, so I can only rely on grep.
But it really looks like nobody except arch/um actually uses DTRACE.

There are also some strange defines in blackfin and m68k, PF_DTRACE_BIT and
PT_DTRACE_BIT, which seems to be unused too. At least I failed to find
anything related in asm. Perhaps I should learn how to cross compile.

Oleg.

View attachment "DT_1_NOP.patch" of type "text/plain" (474 bytes)

View attachment "DT_2_CLEAR.patch" of type "text/plain" (4550 bytes)

View attachment "DT_3_SET.patch" of type "text/plain" (1236 bytes)

View attachment "DT_4_m32r.patch" of type "text/plain" (1032 bytes)