Date:	Mon, 11 May 2009 15:05:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>
To:	Greg KH <gregkh@...e.de>
cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>, npiggin@...e.de,
	mel@....ul.ie, a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl,
	Christoph Lameter <cl@...ux-foundation.org>,
	dave@...ux.vnet.ibm.com, san@...roid.com, arve@...roid.com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch 05/11 -mmotm] oom: fix possible oom_dump_tasks NULL
 pointer

On Mon, 11 May 2009, Greg KH wrote:

> > This was a source of confusion from me when I posted a smaller set earlier
> > that made the same changes to the staging driver, and the only reason I
> > sent the change here was because drivers/staging/android/lowmemorykiller.c
> > is in Linus' tree.
>
> I have that series in my "to-apply" queue to get through this week.  I
> will handle them.

Great!

> I think the original lowmemorykiller.c patches have no problem getting
> into the tree.  But, it seems that people are still disagreeing with the
> core oom changes you have made, so those will probably take a few more
> review cycles in order to work themselves out.

Andrew merged a fixed up version of
oom-move-oom_adj-value-from-task_struct-to-mm_struct.patch to -mm so that
it's not dependent on the earlier lowmemorykiller changes.  I assume the
merge conflicts will be handled by whoever pushes their changes last.

> I would _really_ like to see the end goal to get this lowmemorykiller
> code out of the staging tree, and I think that is what your goal here is
> as well.

Not really, my only real change to it was making sure it would compile
when I moved ->oomkilladj from task_struct to mm_struct.  In the course of
that, I found a possible NULL pointer and coding style problems so I
thought I'd fix them up as well.  Then Arve posted a couple of patches
he'd been sitting on, so I added them early on to my series so they'd all
apply cleanly.

> If, at the end of your series that happens, I think that would
> be very good.

Arve, San, it seems like this driver is still being actively developed
judging by the patches you sent me.  Any ideas?