Date:	Wed, 20 May 2009 00:13:24 -0700
From:	"Brandeburg, Jesse" <jesse.brandeburg@...el.com>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>
CC:	"linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"oprofile-list@...ts.sourceforge.net"
	<oprofile-list@...ts.sourceforge.net>,
	"rusty@...tcorp.com.au" <rusty@...tcorp.com.au>
Subject: RE: [BUG 2.6.30-rc1] panic when loading oprofile

Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 15 May 2009 14:41:26 +0200 Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>
> wrote:
>
> > "Brandeburg, Jesse" <jesse.brandeburg@...el.com> writes:
> >
> > Hi Jesse,
> >
> > > when starting a profile run on the latest net-next kernel, I'm
> currently
> > > trying to reproduce on 2.6.30-rc5 stock.
> >
> > Were you able to reproduce it?

For some reason I can no longer reproduce, I'll add a note to the bug too.

My suspicion is my normal process of
git pull
make O=../foo
make modules_install install

somehow picked up the L1_CACHE_BYTES=128 and stuck with it.  I can no longer reproduce that at all, .config always has the same result.

It also may have been that the problem self repaired when I had to blow away my .oprofile/daemonrc because shortly after these panics my oprofile stopped working on older kernels too.

Sorry for the inconvenience, it was reproducible when I started :-(

> > > config available upon request, arch=x86_64, recent (F10 or newer)
> oprofile
> > > userspace.
> >
> > it looks like two bugs: oprofile didn't catch a NMI that belongs to
> > it (most likely) and the NMI watchdog referenced a NULL pointer
> > while processing an NMI.
> >
> > Did you have the nmi watchdog enabled on the command line?
> >

> > > BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at (null)
> > > IP: [<ffffffff8066080a>] nmi_watchdog_tick+0xa1/0x1d6

<snip>

> Ping?
>
> This is in Rafael's regression list but I suspect that it's a
> linux-next-only thing?

We can close, unreproducable.  Its bugzilla 13324