Date:	Fri, 22 May 2009 00:40:28 +0200
From:	Niel Lambrechts <niel.lambrechts@...il.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: BUG: blank screen - unless keyboard/synaptic combo

On 05/19/2009 08:38 PM, Niel Lambrechts wrote:
> I have a strange problem in that during a resume from hibernate my
> text console (or X) remains blank - that is, until I simultaneously
> press a keyboard key and touch the synaptic pad. It is not sufficient
> to press just one or the other, it needs to be done simultaneously and
> it resumes fine after doing this.

I have tried quite hard to overcome this issue. All of the following
hibernation tests I tried involved booting into a text console, without
ever starting X. With each test I still had a blank screen upon resume,
and each time it was fully recoverable by pressing any keyboard
key/synaptic pad touch combo.

1. Disabling a CPU core - NO CHANGE.
Based on a "multi-processor concurrency" fix mentioned on the web
(Ubuntu bug #272307).

2. Upgrade BIOS to latest level - NO CHANGE.
BIOS 6FET70WW, released 04/17/2009.

3. Switching to ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 graphics card. NO CHANGE.
My Lenovo W500 has "switchable graphics" BIOS option, and I tried this
test with both the integrated or the above-mentioned card without
difference.
_This result seems quite interesting to me, as if it could be some type
of bus related freeze where the keyboard/synaptic combo plays a role._

4. Disabling BIOS Options - NO CHANGE.
Enabling/disabling security chip features + TXT features.
Disabling fingerprint reader.
Disabling memory security feature.

5. Kernel options - NO CHANGE.
ACPI debugging - I enabled CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG, but did not see any
messages generated when I pressed a keyboard key + synaptic mousepad
combo that recovers the console.
FIRMWARE_EDID - still testing this.

Any suggestions on anything else I could try would be most welcome...!

Thanks,
Niel