lists  /  announce  owl-users  owl-dev  john-users  john-dev  passwdqc-users  yescrypt  popa3d-users  /  oss-security  kernel-hardening  musl  sabotage  tlsify  passwords  /  crypt-dev  xvendor  /  Bugtraq  Full-Disclosure  linux-kernel  linux-netdev  linux-ext4  PHC 
Open Source and information security mailing list archives
Hash Suite: Windows password security audit tool. GUI, reports in PDF.
[<prev] [next>] [<thread-prev] [thread-next>] [day] [month] [year] [list]
Date:	Fri, 5 Jun 2009 11:07:30 +0800
From:	Balbir Singh <>
To:	Avi Kivity <>
	Peter Zijlstra <>,
	Pavel Emelyanov <>,
	Dhaval Giani <>,,
	Gautham R Shenoy <>,
	Linux Containers <>,, Ingo Molnar <>
Subject: Re: [RFC] CPU hard limits

* Avi Kivity <> [2009-06-04 15:19:22]:

> Bharata B Rao wrote:
> > 2. Need for hard limiting CPU resource
> > --------------------------------------
> > - Pay-per-use: In enterprise systems that cater to multiple clients/customers
> >   where a customer demands a certain share of CPU resources and pays only
> >   that, CPU hard limits will be useful to hard limit the customer's job
> >   to consume only the specified amount of CPU resource.
> > - In container based virtualization environments running multiple containers,
> >   hard limits will be useful to ensure a container doesn't exceed its
> >   CPU entitlement.
> > - Hard limits can be used to provide guarantees.
> >   
> How can hard limits provide guarantees?
> Let's take an example where I have 1 group that I wish to guarantee a 
> 20% share of the cpu, and anther 8 groups with no limits or guarantees.
> One way to achieve the guarantee is to hard limit each of the 8 other 
> groups to 10%; the sum total of the limits is 80%, leaving 20% for the 
> guarantee group. The downside is the arbitrary limit imposed on the 
> other groups.
> Another way is to place the 8 groups in a container group, and limit 
> that to 80%. But that doesn't work if I want to provide guarantees to 
> several groups.

Hi, Avi,

Take a look at
and the associated program in the wiki page.

To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to
More majordomo info at
Please read the FAQ at

Powered by blists - more mailing lists