Date:	Wed, 10 Jun 2009 18:42:16 +0200
From:	Harald Dunkel <harald.dunkel@...nline.de>
To:	Christian Kujau <lists@...dbynature.de>
CC:	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: how to stop kernel nfsd?

Christian Kujau wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, harald.dunkel@...nline.de wrote:
>> Which signal would be correct to gracefully kill the kernel nfs daemons?
>
> What are you trying to achieve? "killing", "terminating" or "graceful
> reloading", as in "re-exporting the shares", which can be done with
> exportfs(8).

Its a HA setup. Heartbeat is supposed to terminate the nfs service, umount
the local filesystem, set the drbd resources to "secondary", and release
the shared IP address (in this sequence).

To terminate the nfs service Lenny's /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server tries

	kill -INT <pid>

for all nfs daemons. Even though nfs is not active the nfs daemons don't
go away and keep the local mount point busy. If I patch the nfs runlevel
script to use SIGQUIT or SIGHUP instead, then the nfs daemons terminate.

Lenny's kernel is 2.6.26 plus patches.

Surely I am not asking for support for Lenny's kernel. But it would be
interesting to know what the kernel nfs daemons are supposed to do when
they receive a signal. AFAICS this is not documented.

Regards

Harri

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (261 bytes)