Date:	Fri, 12 Jun 2009 03:56:55 +0400
From:	Michael Tokarev <mjt@....msk.ru>
To:	Linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
CC:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>, Alain Knaff <alain@...ff.lu>
Subject: Re: initramfs unpacking failed: junk in compressed archive

Replying to my own email, after quite some talks and
debugging between HPA, Alain Knaff and me.

The problem turned out to be in LILO, not in kernel.
LILO loads initrd below 15Mb by default.  But it looks
like starting with 2.6.30 64bits, in my configuration
anyway, the kernel become larger and were overwriting
the initrd area.  LILO has an option now, "large-memory",
to remedy this situation - which in turn cured the issue
for me.

Hopefully newcomers will not hit this trap since most
distributions nowadays switched from lilo to grub or
something else, or with new installs, lilo.conf gets
that 'large-memory' parameter by default.  Because it
wasn't the easiest thing to debug ;)

I used lilo for >10 years and treated it as always
working... Not anymore ;)

By the way, syslinux was a good surprize to me too,
it looks like I'll switch from lilo to extlinux
soon.

Thanks!

/mjt