Date:	Sat, 13 Jun 2009 15:06:34 +1000
From:	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
Cc:	Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@...nel.crashing.org>,
	Linus <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-next@...r.kernel.org,
	paulus@...ba.org, ppc-dev <linuxppc-dev@...ts.ozlabs.org>
Subject: Re: linux-next: origin tree build failure

Hi Ingo,

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:11:18 +0200 Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu> wrote:

> But that's axiomatic, isnt it? linux-next build-tests PowerPC as the
> first in the row of tests - so no change that was in linux-next can
> ever cause a build failure on PowerPC, right?

Not really.  I build a powerpc ppc64_defconfig and an x86_64 allmodconfig
between merging most trees.  At the end of the day, I do the following
builds before releasing linux-next:

powerpc allnoconfig
powerpc64 allnoconfig
powerpc ppc44x_defconfig
powerpc allyesconfig
i386 defconfig
sparc64 defconfig
sparc defconfig

Which clearly doesn't cover all possible configs, but is a start and
catches a lot (the powerpc allyesconfig is only 64 bit).

Then after release, linux-next gets built for a lot of architectures and
configs (see http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/branch/9/).  A couple of
people also do randconfig builds which find all sorts of things.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@...b.auug.org.au