Date:	Wed, 24 Jun 2009 15:07:14 -0700
From:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	penberg@...helsinki.fi, arjan@...radead.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, cl@...ux-foundation.org,
	npiggin@...e.de
Subject: Re: upcoming kerneloops.org item: get_page_from_freelist

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:40:11 -0700 (PDT)
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Jun 2009, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > >
> > > If the caller gets oom-killed, the allocation attempt fails.  Callers need
> > > to handle that.
> >
> > I actually disagree. I think we should just admit that we can always free
> > up enough space to get a few pages, in order to then oom-kill things.
>
> Btw, if you want to change the WARN_ON() to warn when you're in the
> "allocate in order to free memory" recursive case, then I'd have no issues
> with that.
>
> In fact, in that case it probably shouldn't even be conditional on the
> order.
>
> So a
>
> 	WARN_ON_ONCE((p->flags & PF_MEMALLOC) && (gfpmask & __GFP_NOFAIL));
>
> actually makes tons of sense.

I suspect that warning will trigger.

alloc_pages
-> ...
  -> pageout
    -> ...
      -> get_request
        -> blk_alloc_request
          -> elv_set_request
            -> cfq_set_request
              -> cfq_get_queue
                -> cfq_find_alloc_queue
                  -> kmem_cache_alloc_node(__GFP_NOFAIL)
                    -> Jens

How much this can happen in practice I don't know, but it looks bad.

> There are other cases where __GFP_NOFAIL doesn't make sense too, and that
> could be warned about. The __GFP_NORETRY thing was already mentioned.
> Similarly, !__GFP_WAIT doesn't work with __GFP_NOFAIL - because the nofail
> obviously relies on being able to do something about the failure case.
>
> We might want to also have rules like "in order to have NOFAIL, you need
> to allow IO and FS accesses".

Sure, that's sane.

fs/jbd/journal.c:       new_bh = alloc_buffer_head(GFP_NOFS|__GFP_NOFAIL);

But that isn't :(