Date:	Mon, 29 Jun 2009 21:18:33 -0700
From:	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
To:	Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@...-lyon.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] accessibility, speakup, speech synthesis & /sys

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 12:04:52AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just as a reminder, Speakup is an in-kernel screen reader that uses
> hardware speech synthesis to say what gets printed on the Linux console.
>
> In the process of cleaning it, we are moving its configuration stuff
> into proper places.  I believe there are two things:
>
> - per- harware speech synthesizer parameters (e.g. speed, pitch, etc.)
> - screen reading parameters (e.g. characters pronunciation, key_echo,
>   current synthesizer being used etc.)
>
> Speech synthesizers should probably have their own device class, how
> should it be called? "synth"? "speech"?

Which do you think it should?

> Synthesizers are usually plugged on serial ports, but there is no bus
> abstraction for that, so I believe we can put them in the virtual bus.

That would be fine.

> Then there are the screen reading parameters. I'd tend to think that
> like there are /sys/{block,firmware,fs,power}, there could be a
> /sys/accessibility, or even shorter, /sys/a11y?  Speakup parameters
> could then be in /sys/a11y/speakup?

Wouldn't these be on a "per-screen" basis?  So they would live under the
screen reader device itself, not way up high in the device tree.
Actually, you are proposing them outside of the device tree, which I do
not think you want at all.

What specific files are you thinking you would need?

thanks,

greg k-h