Date:	Sat, 11 Jul 2009 03:03:24 +0100
From:	Jamie Lokier <jamie@...reable.org>
To:	tridge@...ba.org
Cc:	Martin Steigerwald <Martin@...htvoll.de>,
	Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...ozas.de>,
	OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@...l.parknet.co.jp>,
	Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>,
	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	Rusty Russell <rusty@...tcorp.com.au>,
	Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>, john.lanza@...ux.com,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
	Dave Kleikamp <shaggy@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>, corbet@....net,
	jcm@...masters.org, James.Bottomley@...senpartnership.com
Subject: Re: CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES regressions

Jamie Lokier wrote:
> I don't know what code base is used for Windows CE.  CE is still used,
> on phones, PDAs and media players among other things.  Has there been
> any testing against CE - current versions and old versions?

Found something about Windows CE:

    On WinCE, long filenames do not need to be generated if the filename
    is 8.3 compatible: it must contain all uppercase characters, no
    unicode characters, and be no longer than 8 characters long with no
    more than a 3 character extension. For example, FILENAME.TXT would not
    generate a long filename and uses only one directory
    entry. FileName.Txt, filename.txt, and FILENAME0.TXT would all
    genenerate a long filename.

    From: http://blogs.msdn.com/medmedia/archive/2007/01/04/fat-filesystem-performance-issues.aspx

In other words, Windows CE uses the same algorithm as Windows 9x when
deciding whether to _create_ a long filename, corresponding to
shortname=mixed.

That post is from 2007, so likely to be what goes on recent CE devices.

I don't know if that means it _reads_ FAT the same way as Windows 9x,
or if they decided to do the same as shortname=mixed for maximum
compatibility with everything.  Has anyone ever checked if
shortname=winnt is what NT-derivatives like XP and Vista still do?

Obviously we care about how CE reads FAT, not when it creates long
names.  This is just a little clue that it might be the same as Windows 9x.

-- Jamie